Sunday, February 27, 2005

The shildren

Our centre has been taken over by kids lately, including some very lively ones who have edged us another step closer to absolute chaos. My productivity levels have dropped sharply but I've really enjoyed having them around. It's made me remember how much I liked working with kids when I used to teach swimming in Sydney. As one of our clients pointed out this week:

'Mr Joe like the shildren. The shildren like Mr Joe'

We were also visited this week by several prospective volunteers. Some of them were from the Latter Day Saints (LDS) church and my doctor colleague has fallen into a habit of mistakenly calling them the LSD church. I'm praying that she doesn't do it in front of them when they come again to teach Cantonese this week!

Another new volunteer was an English vet and I asked him if HK pet owners bring their animals to the vet more frequently than those in London.

'Well, there are two extremes really. You have the New Territories pet owners who wait until something is almost dead before seeking treatment. On the other hand, there are a lot of childless couples who bring their dog to the vet every time it has a sniffle.'

After some deliberation, the Sister S and I decided to ask the vet to teach an English class for little kids. Snap!

No comments: