Saturday, May 07, 2005

Shantaram

I've just finished reading 'Shantaram' by Gregory David Roberts. It's the autobiographical story of the decade that he spent in Bombay after fleeing a sentence for armed robbery in Australia.


While in India, Roberts learnt Hindi and Marathi and became involved in the Bombay underground. He also lived in a slum where he set up a free clinic before going to Afghanistan to smuggle weapons to locals fighting the Soviets.

His experiences are incredible and often horrific. At the same time, they felt very familiar and I could visualise many of the places from my own experience. It was strange to feel so much in common with someone so different to me.

Mostly, however, the book made me very impatient to go to India again! I was very depressed this week after getting my April pay slip and seeing that I have accumulated only 2.79 days of holiday allowance. Hmmm.

No comments: