Thursday, January 05, 2006

Cats!

The small office at my work has reached feline saturation point. I have constructed a barrier of files around the edges of my desk but this is not stopping one cat from jumping into my lap and holding tight with its claws when I try and remove it.

A large fluffy cat has learned to defy the barrier by climbing from my colleague's monitor to my own. From there it descends and sits watching the mouse move around the screen, swishing its tail over the keyboard. It has a severe wind problem and it doesn't help that its bum is just centimetres from my face.

I am continually opening the window to get fresh air but I have to be careful that another cat, Sylvia, doesn't get out. She is in heat and desparate to get to a black stray that sits outside whining. My boss finds this whole situation hilarious, joking that Sylvia prefers black men.

I'm hardly learning to like cats but I'm certainly getting used to picking them up and depositing them away from my desk. This is a big thing for me.

The digital camera is currently on holiday in Australia. I'll publish some cat photos when it gets back next week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vell I still tink dat ze katz are better zan ze dogs! Ven vee vent to fisit Herr Schinkeldinkeleinmeister's fater hiz dog tried to eat Herr Schinkeldinkeleinmeister's schuhs! Hiz ferry expensiff falentino schuhs! Now ze schuhs haff dog teess marks all ofer dem! Poor Herr Schinkeldinkeleinmeister had to go to verk viss dies schuhs!

And zen ze dog tried to eat my house schuhs, sorry my slippers, too! Ferry bad dog!

Joe said...

My sympathy to Herr S.. I will retell this story to someone who owns many expensive things (including schuhs) and wants a dog.

Iqbal Khaldun said...

Hehe cats are horrible, always after forms of attention that require your full attention! It may not be too soon to begin placing barbed wire around your desk! :-)

PS: just met Keith, he looks healthy although his hair appears somewhat less spikey!

Anonymous said...

Hmm.... I was thinking of something more subtle first like smearing my whole body and desk with a mix of the following cat repellants:
mustard oil, cayenne pepper, coffee grounds, pipe tobacco, lavender oil, lemon grass oil, citronella oil, and eucalyptus oil