Wednesday, May 09, 2007

My garden

Monday was a bank holiday and although I taught in the morning, I took the afternoon off to visit a garden centre in Kensington.

I got a little too excited and ended up buying 3x80cm troughs, 76L of compost, 5kg of stones and two trays of plants.

76L of compost does not get you much sympathy on the bus. It's nothing like having a baby in a pram. No one moves for you and you get very dirty looks if you get too close to anyone.

I arrived home exhausted but keen to set up my garden straight away. It's been really cool and cloudy this week but I'm hoping that the balcony will soon be awash with orange and violet blooms.


I've also treated myself to the new Björk album. I'm not really qualified to comment on it yet as I have become obsessed with track 3, 'The dull flame of desire', and hardly listened to anything else.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice planting and v. homey.

There seems to be a lot of WHITE VANS/VECHICLES on the street...

Joe said...

Yes, it's always commercial vehicles during the day and taxis at night. Congestion charge and lack of parking seem to keep private cars out.

Or, maybe I'm under surveillance by some radical anti-gardening group who get around in white vans?

Anonymous said...

Your home is so close to West End (Covent Garden)!

Anonymous said...

Is that Vincent of Barcap fame?

Joe said...

Oh this is really rich! 'Anonymous' is asking people to identify themselves!

As you know, anonymous, there are ho doh Vincents, even in London (and Kelvins, Stanleys, Winstons and, ahem, Victors). I don't think this this one is your brother.

Yes Vincent, so close but no use! I'm not really a fan of Covent Garden or Leicester Square and I can't stand Tottenham Court Road or Oxford Street!

Anonymous said...

This Vincent is chinese used to live in Sheung Wan, HK before moving to Islington, London and works in Hackney.

Joe said...

haha... thanks for clarifying! I used to live in Sheung Wan (part-time anyway), used to work in Islington and aspire to live in Hackney!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Vincent from London.

j a s o n said...

Dearest anonymous,

When is your blog going up? i am keen to see your photography skills! you have had that SLR long enough mah.

j a s o n said...

Joe - is there a special mini plot for peppermint?

Joe said...

Nup - I'd love to grow herbs but I if I did I think they'd be poisonous. So much black gunk settles on that balcony!